Monday, February 29, 2016

FIGS WITH GORGONZOLA CHEESE, THYME, & LEMON INFUSED HONEY

My last summer of camp was when I was 12 years old. My mom packed a bag of Fig Newtons in my suitcase. I really didn't like them but I loved the movie "The Parent Trap" with Haley Mills. She shared her Fig Newtons with her fellow campers, so I wanted to be like her character in the movie. This recipe does not taste like the old figs I remember and is a delicious way to serve fresh figs. There are a lot of recipes out there with the combination of figs, honey, and cheese. I infused the honey with thyme leaves and lemon zest. I think you will enjoy this for a healthy light lunch or breakfast.


4 slices whole grain bread
2 t unsalted butter
4 oz Gorgonzola cheese, softened
¼ cup raw unfiltered honey
2 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
Zest of ½ lemon
3 Brown Turkey figs, stems removed and thinly sliced

In a skillet or griddle, melt butter and toast the bread until golden on both sides.
Spread the Gorgonzola cheese evenly on all 4 slices of toasted bread.
Pour honey into a small saucepan or bowl and heat slightly.

Add thyme leaves and lemon zest.
Arrange figs on each slice of bread.
Drizzle with honey and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment